You may have noticed that we get really excited about onions this time of year. It is, after all, peak season for Walla Walla sweet onions
! From coast to coast, it seems every region has their own version of the sweet onion, but we think ours reigns supreme.
Sweet Onion Facts:
- The onion belongs to the Lily family.
- The low sulphur content in Walla Wallas is what makes them sweet.
- According to an old gardener's rhyme, the severity of the upcoming winter can be predicted by the thickness of the onion skin.
- Walla Wallas are so popular, we made it our official state vegetable in 2007.
- Each day over 450 semi-truck loads of onions are consumed in America.
Sweet and juicy, these orbs were made for our pizza. We caramelize them and then layer them on top of a rich blend of Fontina, Gorgonzola, and mozzarella for our Crostata
. But, you'll also find them on any of our pies that call for onions - at least, while Walla Walla sweet onions are available. If you love these "kitchen lilies" as much as we do, we'll happily put non-caramelized Walla Wallas on your favorite pizza for free through July 30!